Happy World Breastfeeding Month!
Every year in August we celebrate World Breastfeeding Month! In addition to the full month, there's also a Breastfeeding week that runs the first week in August traditionally. This year it ran August 1th through August 7th. In order to raise some awareness of the benefits of breastfeeding, ABC Pediatrics' own Dr. Mary Ann Chiodo provided some benefits of breastfeeding for both Mom and Baby!
Breastfeeding Benefits for BABY:
- access to nutrients that strengthen baby's immune system
- breast milk contains perfect nutrition- exactly the right proteins, fat, vitamins, minerals and other elements for baby's growth and development
- better response to immunizations against Polio, Tetanus, Dipththeria and Haemophilus influendza
- better oral development due to jaw movements, nutrients in breast milk decrease risk of tooth decay
- lowers risk of allergies
- lowers risk of obesity and diabetes
- lowers risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- lowers risk of ear infections and gastroenteritis
- enhances baby's brain development
- better protection against respiratory infections including those cause by rotaviruses
- reduced risk of hospitalizations with pneumonia and bronchiolitis
- enhance performance on cognitive development tests
Breastfeeding Benefits for MOM:
- reduces mom's risk of ovarian, uterine and breast cancer, as well as osteoporosis
- helps mom burn up to and extra 500 calories a day
- reduces post-delivery bleeding and the chances of mom developing anemia
- breast milk is free, convenient, sterile, the correct temperature and environmentally friendly
Breastfeeding is a commitment and investment in health for both mom and baby. ABC Pediatrics offers support through specialized education, encouragement and expert staff. Please reach out to us for all your breastfeeding questions!